Jeff’s Status Report for 03/16/2024

What did I do this week?

This week I primarily worked on the web application, as well as provided some support for my teammates as they worked on the DWM1001 development boards.

For the WebApp, I focused on editing the page displaying the floorplans of the building. I changed the HTML of the page, putting the image in its container, adjusting the CSS so I could use Javascript to manually center the image in the middle of the screen over the user’s hypothetical location. Additionally, I learned how to draw lines over the image to represent the path the user should take, utilizing a canvas HTML element to draw lines, and positioning it over the image.

A short video demo can be found here.

The demo consists of mock data embedded in the Javascript. Obviously, this is not going to be useful for the final product, so I worked on creating a model to hold the position of tags on the server. Then, I added the API endpoints necessary to support updating the models (sent by the tag) and obtaining the data from the models (requests from the browser running the webapp. Overall, this was successful, and I was able to create a Python script emulating the tag, sending random positions to the server, and the positions being accurately represented in the Browser.

I briefly helped Weelie test the communication of tags with multiple anchors, which was successful due to his troubleshooting.

Is my progress on schedule?

This week I was able to make significant progress on the web application, meeting the goals I set for development of the Map view page.  However, I did not end up making progress on the A* pathfinding algorithm. This is because I opted to make more progress on next week’s task, communication between webapp and Raspberry Pi, because this task has significantly more immediate importance for our Midpoint demo milestone that is upcoming. Altogether, I believe that my progress for this week is on track.

Next week’s deliverables:

I would like to continue working on the server to ensure that communication between webapp and RPi is set up correctly. I will also need to work on running the server on AWS instead of my local machine to test the full functionality of communication.

I would like to work on a version of A* algorithm implemented, though this is still second in priority to the former task, as we are not in the stages of mapping a building floor yet.