Luke’s Status Report for 04/06/24

This week, I took a bit of a detour from my original plans and worked more on the authorization model. Basically, to access Spotify’s resources you need to get a proper access token, but this token expires after an hour. So if we want to be able to host larger events then we need to be able to automatically regenerate access tokens for use on both the core and recommender pis. This involved some more automation with selenium, but the main task was querying and sending the access tokens across pis. This involved some more intra-pi communication code and integration into the rest of the subsystems. Overall, this process went well and we were able to test it, which was successful. Now we can operate music mirror for an indefinite period of time without having to worry about losing authorization to Spotify’s resources.

With this in mind, I did start to work on the timing systems that we will use on the core pi by introducing timestamp timers. This infrastructure will be used with the Spotify queue integration which I will work on more this upcoming week.

Verification: I started to write a comprehensive test base for the semantic match. One of the big requirements for accuracy was being able to translate user input into accessible Spotify resources, and I’ve developed multiple solutions for this but we need to be able to test efficiently. So, I created a bunch of test cases for common situations we’ll run into, and began to compare the 1-gram frequency map with the embedding transformer solutions to see which is more accurate.

Validation: In terms of the overall system, we started testing more live concurrent users and also did some robustness checks, such as spamming session req requests to see how the system would handle it. To our satisfaction, it was actually quite robust to these failures but we’d still like to incorporate some sort of limit on the requests a single user can make to ensure nobody monopolizes the queue

Overall, we are still on schedule but need to keep working hard for these last few weeks. I plan to work on the queue integration further in the upcoming days before carnival.