Luke’s Status Report for 04/20/24

As said last report, my main focus this week was to work on the integration of our backend managed queue with the actual Spotify queue. This consisted of writing a queue request scheduler that uses data about the length of the current songs playing to ensure the state of our queue is consistent with regards to the Spotify queue in terms of timing. I then used futures and the java concurrent safe scheduler class to implement this in an efficient way. With this in place, all of our veto and ordering of the queue functionalities work well with no problems. This was one of the lat big steps we needed to take so it is great we were able to get it done so efficiently.

Also, I worked more on various other tasks this week. I worked on some verification tests for my subsystems, primarily involving the accuracy of the semantic matching algorithm. In addition to this, Ice worked more on the authorization driver by replacing our current method of using a web driver with using refresh tokens instead, which makes our lives a lot easier snd limits the communications between the pis.

Further, I worked on the endless queue functionality. This basically just means, that when it is time for the scheduler to queue whichever song is at the top of the queue, if there are currently no songs in the queue, then the system will just queue a song that is a recommendation based on the previous song that played. However, this is slightly inefficient because it takes a couple of seconds to generate the recommendation and communicate between the pis, so we implemented this function as a prefetching process. Basically, the system will prefetch a recommendation if the queue is empty, and then when it is time to actually queue it, if the queue is still empty we use the rec and prefetch another. This was great progress and now makes our system fully functional as originally planned .

We are on schedule. This week was massively important in terms of all of the progress we made, so we just need to continue strong for these last two weeks. Next week I will focus mainly on small robustness improvements and verification and validation testing

What new tools or new knowledge did you find it necessary to learn to be able to accomplish these tasks? What learning strategies did you use to acquire this new knowledge?

I definitely learned a lot about new classes and packages that Java supports, such as the concurrent library, and some of the ML related classes that we use for the semantic matching. My core learning strategies involved reading lots of code documentation and examples – this helped me understand the use cases of these tools and then figure out how to incorporate them into our own project.