Matt’s Status Report for 4/6/24

• This week I started off by adding the functionality to send the updated queue after a song recommendation is sent from the recommender pi.  It first sends the updated queue with just a request added to the queue then when the queue is updated, the backend sends that to all clients. I added the keep-alive functionality for users to be active at least once for 15 minutes. If the timer runs out or if the user closes the page then all of their votes will not be counted towards the likes/dislikes of the songs. The user’s likes and dislikes are still saved so when they do make another action on the page then their votes will be restored to the songs still available. I was also playing around with what should log users out. The old version had it so if they refreshed then it would log them out. Now I have the app save the data so refreshing will not make a new user. I also made some UI fixes. There is now a designated dj color and all the songs recommended by the dj say it was queued by the dj. Also when song recommendations are pending there is no option to like or dislike. 
  • Testing:  I have only run very basic tests with Luke and Thomas so far where we all queue a bunch of songs and verify if it is what we want. To test the app/Pis further I want to make a script to simulate 100-150 users making requests at random times and monitor the app for correctness and to see how it handles the load. Also for the latency we can either input timing code for the simulated users, or I can just run a user of my own while the app is under a heavy load and see if there is a noticeable difference. 
  • I’m on schedule. I did all of the things I said I wanted to do last week. 
  • Next week I plan to make tests like the ones described above and also help out in other areas of the project. The most important thing is having the backend know what song is playing when so that is probably where I’ll go first.