Alan’s status report for 04/20/24

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

This week I worked with Erin to resolder our assembly and produce the bottle we will use in the final demo. I also got the display working, and it shows liquid level, temperature, and classification. I then wrote and FSM to detect when the bottle is stable based on the stability of the ultrasonic sensor’s reading, eliminating the need for a pressure plate. Finally, I designed the integration tests we are performing to validate our final product

Is your progress on schedule or behind?

On schedule

What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

Next week, I’ll continue testing the final bottle,  will add more liquid samples, and the capability for user-added liquids.

As you’ve designed, implemented and debugged your project, what new tools or new knowledge did you find it necessary to learn to be able to accomplish these tasks? What learning strategies did you use to acquire this new knowledge?

I’ve learned a lot about different sensors used to test and identify liquids, their principles of operation, and their libraries. I mostly learned this by googling, reading reviews, forums, and wikis. I also learned about bluetooth low energy, again, mostly by googling, reading forums and tutorials. Finally, I learned some things about hardware, fabrication, and durability, mostly by talking to classmates and trial and error as we build our product.