Matthews Status Report

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

This week, I worked on the presentation by making the slides and preparing them. Along with that, I was also finalizing CADing and 3d printing parts for our final assembly.

We are currently on schedule

What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

Next week, I’ll finish helping the team assembling the bottle and review any potential issues we have on our final assembly

Team Status Report 04/27/24

What are the most significant risks that could jeopardize the success of the project? How are these risks being managed? What contingency plans are ready?

The main risks are related to connections (solders breaking, sensors disconnecting). We are reinforcing our connections and using JHT connectors instead of soldering the sensors directly to a protoboard.

Were any changes made to the existing design of the system (requirements, block diagram, system spec, etc)? Why was this change necessary, what costs does the change incur, and how will these costs be mitigated going forward?

No

List all unit tests and overall system test carried out for experimentation of the system. List any findings and design changes made from your analysis of test results and other data obtained from the experimentation.

Capacitance test – We learned that the capacitance between different liquids didn’t change much, so we needed to use different metrics for classification.

Unit tests for temperature, tds, turbidity, and color sensors with different liquids. We found good variability between color, tds, and turbidity in our target liquids. We also found that the temperature sensor is consistent with what we expected.

Integration tests for the sensors once the system had been assembled – we tested the sensors in the bottle, and found the results from the unit tests remain.

Level testing for the ultrasonic testing – we tested that the level indicated by the ultrasonic sensor is consistent with the expected value. We also found that this could be used as a metric for bottle stability, and decided to use this instead of FSR’s. This allowed us to simplify our system and decrease energy expenditure.

Static code analysis for the Arduino code and JS code. Issues found (such as unreachable code and uninitialized values) were either mitigated or found to be false positives.

Connection test – we tested the connection between the app and the bottle, and found it to be stable.

Alan’s Status Report for 04/27/24

This week, I worked on our final bottle assembly. We have a new board, which should be more stable and less vulnerable to solders breaking, since it uses JHT connectors. I crimped connectors, tested sensor connections, and debugged solder and connection issues. I also worked on our final bottle, sealing sensors in place,  moving the display and adding a new switch (for the battery circuit) to the taller bottom compartment.

Is your progress on schedule or behind?

On schedule

Next week, I’ll finish the battery circuit and clean up any final issues with the bottle, to make sure we’re ready for a successful demo.

Erin’s Status Report 4/20

This week I resoldered the bottle hardware due to a microcontroller breakage. I also cadded the bottle and worked on the calendar page of the app

Is your progress on schedule or behind?

On schedule

I need to work on the level seperation between different liquids on the app

As you’ve designed, implemented and debugged your project, what new tools or new knowledge did you find it necessary to learn to be able to accomplish these tasks? What learning strategies did you use to acquire this new knowledge?

I realized that hand soldering is really difficult to maintain and tends to break especially when the wires are tiny. We learned about a new connector that is tempory so things should not break as often

Team status report for 04/20/2024

We had a few issues with fabrication, wires breaking, sensors disconnecting, and fitting the assembly in the bottom compartment. We resoldered our assembly, with a much more reinforced structure, and are printing a slightly taller bottom compartment.

We moved away from a pressure plate and to an FSM based on the ultrasonic sensor to measure bottle stability. This will simplify the system, reduce weight, and slightly decrease power expenditure.

Updated schedule:

Alan’s status report for 04/20/24

This week I worked with Erin to resolder our assembly and produce the bottle we will use in the final demo. I also got the display working, and it shows liquid level, temperature, and classification. I then wrote and FSM to detect when the bottle is stable based on the stability of the ultrasonic sensor’s reading, eliminating the need for a pressure plate. Finally, I designed the integration tests we are performing to validate our final product

Is your progress on schedule or behind?

On schedule

Next week, I’ll continue testing the final bottle,  will add more liquid samples, and the capability for user-added liquids.

I’ve learned a lot about different sensors used to test and identify liquids, their principles of operation, and their libraries. I mostly learned this by googling, reading reviews, forums, and wikis. I also learned about bluetooth low energy, again, mostly by googling, reading forums and tutorials. Finally, I learned some things about hardware, fabrication, and durability, mostly by talking to classmates and trial and error as we build our product.

Erin Status Report 4/6

• This week I soldered the microcontroller as well as the sensors onto a blank pcb board. I also fixed the app to work with the BLE sense Arduino. This week was really rough and we had to resolder the sensors multiple times due to 2 Adafruit nrf’s burning out.

Is your progress on schedule or behind?

On schedule

I need to fix a water level bug as well as change hte color for the liquid depending on what the liquid is. I will also support matt with cadding

Now that you have some portions of your project built, and entering into the verification and validation phase of your project, provide a comprehensive update on what tests you have run or are planning to run. In particular, how will you analyze the anticipated measured results to verify your contribution to the project meets the engineering design requirements or the use case requirements?

We need to do water level tests to make sure that the app and bottle are calibrated. This is really important at this point bc we need to switch cm -> ounces in order for the UI to make sense.

Mattherw’s status report 4/6

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

This week, I worked on getting the prototype ready for the MVP demo. I worked on 3d printing an entirely new bottle due to complications we had regarding the bottle starting to leak liquid despite the sealant and glue that we had used. I also helped get potential parts we would need, such as voltage regulators to power down the voltage needed from 9v to 5v or 3.3v depending on the circumstances. I also worked on the physical prototype with the team(as a team effort)

Is your progress on schedule or behind?

On schedule

What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

We wish to have a new model of the bottle prototyped so that we can 3d print it, as well as making sure that we have enough space to fit in the sensors that we could not fit in on our MVP, such as the color sensor.

We are planning to run tests on ultrasonic accuracy, determining if the amount of liquid that is currently being held is reliably close to the amount that is being estimated by the ultrasonic. The turbidity and tds will  be used to help differentiate liquids by comparing them to the values that we got through reference liquids such as coffee, milk, water and such. The color sensor will be used to find a case where there are two different liquids with similar turbidity/tds values and differentiate them through visuals.

We will test these results in a classifier and check whether the results are within a reliable level of tolerance, and calibrate according to the data that we receive in return.

Team status report for 04/06/24

Right now, we are concerned with finding a food-safe, effective sealant. We are exploring a few different options. The first one has already arrived, and we will begin testing shortly. We are also working on detecting uprightness with an FSR, and are exploring different alternatives for this (more than one FSR, a larger FSR, different stands to hold the FSR in the final bottle).

Our exploration into sealants and FSR options does have a cost, but we have room in the budget for them.

Another big change is that we decided to 3D-print our bottle (out of food-safe acrylic), so we have purchased filament for it, but, again, there is room in the budget for it.

We will measure the sensors (temperature, turbidity, tds) against the ground truth (from reference tables and/or pre-existing sensors we know to be correct), to make sure they are within an acceptable margin of error in the final assembly.

We will use fuzzers and static analysis tools to detect issues in the code and correct them (both for the microcontroller code and the app code)

We will stress-test the bottle for leakage by leaving liquid in it for an extended period of time, and moving it at intervals (the acceptable threshold is no leakage).

We will test the battery life by keeping the bottle on for extended periods of time, and simulating drinking from it at intervals (we expect to reach the battery life outlined in our requirements, of at least 2 days).

We will test the classifier for accuracy with different samples, as we calibrate the system for them.

Alan’s Status Report for 04/06/24

This week, I worked on getting the prototype ready for the interim demo. I worked on our backup microcontroller (after we had issues with the Adafruit’s, where they stopped working), re-writing code to be compatible with it. I collaborated with Erin to get the new setup working on the app. I also worked on the new physical prototype (as part of a team effort), and we now have a leak-free, working, classifying bottle! Finally, I calibrated the classifying algorithm for the bottle with nothing in it, water, milk, coffee, and orange juice, and rehearsed for, and delivered my portion of, the team demo.

Is your progress on schedule or behind?

On schedule

Next week, I will work on improving classifier accuracy, with more data points, and in detecting when the bottle is stood up correctly, with FSR’s. I will also begin work on testing, running a fuzzer and a static analysis tool on my arduino code.

I will run tests with the sensors in the bottle against the ground truth – the thermometer with a reference one, and TDS and turbidity against reference metrics for our liquids. I will test these against the expected (and acceptable) tolerance of the sensors. For the color sensor, I will test it against different liquids in our final bottle, to make sure the interference of the bottle material is small enough to still give use usable data (as it has been in previous translucent prototypes). This will make sure our final assembly is within our tolerance.

I will also run a fuzzer and a static analysis tool on my microcontroller code, to ensure the code is reliable and secure, and does not have egregious, easily correctable faults in it.

For the classifier, I will test it with different beverages to ensure it can correctly classify them within an allowable tolerance. As I provide more data points and better calibration, I will expect the accuracy to improve.