Emanuel’s Status Report for 4/20

Personal Accomplishment:

Mandatory Lab (4 hrs)

• Fixing the readings from the Linear Hall Effect Sensor to turn on the coil based on readings
  • Creating new coils with 30 and 32 AWG and testing Ampere output with a power source

Design Research and Self Time (8 hrs)

• Adjust newly printed carrier and track to fit coil
  • Attach magnets to newly printed carrier and track
  • Create a 3D printed tool to fit the spool to power drill for creating coil
  • Make a new coil with new, tighter turns and a new AWG Copper Wire
  • Work on working with H-Bridge and Coil in terms of turning on the coil based on readings

Team Meeting

• Meet and work on the final presentation
  • Discuss how to implement different systems together

Progress:

I continued working on the readings from the Linear Hall Effect sensor as an “imitator” from Arduino to Arduino to act like Bluetooth communication to see how I can use those readings to affect the current going through the coil. After researching and mapping data from one Arduino to the other, I could finally allow the current to go through the coil whenever the sensor read a magnetic field for a specific range. I also worked on creating a key tool that can attach to the spool and attach to a power drill to easily create new coils since I had been using my hand, and the recent coils have not had tight turns as desired. Once that was created, I made new coils with the 30 and 32 AWG Copper Wire since those wires are thin enough to have really tight turns and an even larger number of turns in general. After doing calculations on these coils and running tests on the coils, I realized that these were not the proper wires to use and needed to go back to ranges from 20-24 AWG. I created a new coil with 22 AWG Copper Wire that achieves around 230 turns and can transmit above 5 amps with only 10 volts instead of the preferred 15 volts, as that is the limit for the H-Bridges. Since a new design for the track and carrier was made and the prints were done at my apartment, I could start working on gluing the new magnets onto the carrier and tracking and adjusting the carrier itself since there was no space to allow the coil to slip in.

Schedule:

We are on schedule

Additional Information:

Throughout this project, I needed to learn more about using Arduino and the libraries that exist for this tool, more about the different kinds of AWG wires that exist, and understand how each kind of wire has a limit on how much current can pass through it. I also learned more about the magnetic field and its formula for solenoids to record the magnetic field of every coil I created. I also learned more about magnets and readings of the magnetic field from these magnets when using Linear Hall Effect Sensors. The learning strategies I used to acquire this new knowledge were reading articles and graphs, watching videos, asking the TA and professor questions, practicing when creating the coils, and learning from my mistakes throughout the process.