Shizhen’s Status Report for March 11

This week I mainly worked on modifying the Faraday’s law experiment and writing the design review report.

Faraday’s Law Experiment

Since the induced voltage in the original Faraday’s law experiment was too small and transient to turn on an LED, I searched for related papers to see how the set-up can be modified, and found one paper that meets our needs.
Using the equations and methods described in the paper, I was able to determine quantitatively the values of the components (e.g. turns of induction coil, radius of the coil). I documented the new design in the design review report in detail and included a 3D model of the experiment.

Design Review Report

In addition to documenting the implementation of the Faraday’s law experiment, I worked on the introduction and design requirements. I also proofread, formatted and finalized the report.

Because writing the design review report took much longer than I expected, I did not have a chance to work on improving the accuracy of the Arduino analog measurements. However, we will allocate time to work on it after the break. Overall, I believe I am on schedule and have caught up according to the previous week’s plan. Next week I plan to verify the calculated quantities for the Faraday’s law experiment by making a mock-up of the design. I will adjust the values as needed so that the induced emf will be large enough to turn on LEDs.