Vedant’s status report for 02/18/2023

Please list the particular ECE courses (if any) that covered the engineering science and mathematics principles your team used to develop your design? If there are no courses please tells us how you learned those principles over the last week?

They aren’t specifically ECE courses but 11-785 (intro to deep learning) and 10-301 (intro to machine learning) covered the engineering principles I’m using in my project.

\What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

Since finalizing  the model last week, I have been researching other aspects of the optimization set up that could help our generative music model perform well. I discovered a new optimizer called Lion (EvoLved Sign Momentum) Published in a paper by Google and UCLA researchers less than a week ago The paper is linked Here.  Apart from this I also found libraries that can tokenize the MIDI files which our model takes as input, these tokenized inputs can better facilitate the learning of the generative model here.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

I feel that I am on track. I have a good idea of the model I want to implement and how I’m going to implement it.  I have also found a bunch of helpful resources which would provide guidance in design choices

In the coming week I hope to accomplish the following things:

• Read about different tokenization strategies for MIDI files and the different advantages/disadvantages for each.
  • Understand the LakhMIDI dataset better to understand ways in which I can employ feature engineering to enhance the model
  • Experiment with a pre-built transformer to see the kind of results we can acheive