Weekly Status Reports

Rachana’s Status Report for Apr 29

Rachana, Weekly Status Reports
Personal Accomplishments   This week, I was working on the UI functionality. I had alot of other commitments, so working on the recommendations was a little difficult. The integration for the three different modes of audio input work well so it allows me to record, search or upload a file. The MediaRecorder stream was fun to play around with.    I want to currently work on getting recommendations based on the features of the song extracted on spotify, and display that for the user. We prefetch these songs for the user so in the event the user chooses to select these songs, it's going to be quick to get the signal parameters for the lighting engine.    Testing wise, we tested for concurrency for user commands and main queue commands,…
Read More

Parth’s Status Report for Apr 29

Parth, Weekly Status Reports
Personal Accomplishments This week I worked on finalizing the logic that converts signal processing outputs to commands to be executed by the lighting engine. I was able to implement change point detection to find out the locations at which the lights should do something different. Further, I was able to output various log files and dictionaries for different parts of the logic decisions: parameters, functions, and lights. These log files were useful in verifying the correctness of logic and are going to be used as a base for all the testing that we will be conducting from now until the demo. Further, I helped Rachana revamping the UI, and we were able to override execution commands. Finally, I also worked on the poster.  On Track? Yes, I am on track…
Read More

Team Status Report for Apr 29

Weekly Status Reports
Team Status Report for Apr 29 Summary  This week, the team finished most of the development necessary for our project. We were able to get all our individual subsystems working and we were able to integrate them together. Next week, we are going to be completing our testing and optimization so that we are ready in time to demo our project the week after.  Tests There were a various tests done on an individual subsystem level and at the project level throughout the development process.  Signal Processing Song Recognition - We tested 15 different songs from Billboard’s top 100 playlist and the song recognition was able to accurately identify each of them with a 5 second clip Functionality Tests - Isolated individual features and tested them against a hand labeled…
Read More

Abhishek’s Status Report for Apr 29

Abhishek, Weekly Status Reports
Personal Accomplishments This week I was working mainly on finishing up part of the logic for the signal processing. The function that I was writing essentially creates a set of function calls for each time step. The function call choices are to hold, setColor, rotate, fade, colorCycle, strobe, or blackout. It can decide which function to call and which lights to call which function as well. This in turn means that it is implicitly controlling the effect duration as well since it is able to hold, in which case it lets the current functionality continue running until an overriding command takes its place. I also spent a decent amount of time working and practicing for the presentation that I had to give earlier this week. On Track? Now what is…
Read More

Rachana’s Status Report for Apr 22

Rachana, Weekly Status Reports
Personal Accomplishments   This week I was mainly working on getting the signal parameters to match up with the beat time stamps, and implementing user feedback by process control switches. The user queue allows us to have real time feedback on our lighting interface, making it more user friendly. We are basically replacing the main commands at a beat timestamp with the user command that comes in, and then going on to process the rest of the user commands at the right places.    I modified our spotify integration and feature query system to be like “I play a bit of the song”, or I can search up using the song name, or I can upload a song to test it, and the interface goes into Shazam recognizes the song…
Read More

Parth’s Status Report for Apr 22

Uncategorized
Personal Accomplishments I worked on a couple of different components over the last two weeks. While I did not make much additional progress during the carnival week, I finished lighting logic. This involved writing the remaining functionality to select the different parameters for the light commands. I had to work with my teammates to redesign how the information will be packaged and relayed on to the lighting engine. While earlier we were thinking of making individual calls to the engine for every command, now I decided to split it up into multiple different arrays, each responsible for a different part of the command space: functions, lights, and parameters. Further, I spent a lot of time working on aligning the commands with the beat time stamps that posed new challenges as…
Read More

Abhishek’s Status Report for Apr 22

Abhishek, Weekly Status Reports
Personal Accomplishments I spent the majority of this week helping with the lighting logic, working on testing functionality, and integrating components of the project together. In terms of the lighting logic, I was able to create the functionality for two main functions: the select_lights and the select_function functions. The select_lights function determines which lights in the gigbar2 will be activated for the upcoming lighting command. The logic behind this decision was based purely on the normalized energy values. It sets different thresholds of energy and depending on the energy threshold it determines how many lights and which lights should be activated. Ranking from lowest energy to highest energy we have. Lasers, laser+derbys, pars, pars and derbys, pars derbys and lasers, and finally all lights together. For the select_function function, I…
Read More

Team Status Report for Apr 22

Weekly Status Reports
Summary  We made a few decision changes to incorporate user feedback, and modified the granularity of values that we will extract. We were able to execute function calls every beat of the song. We are coming up with a clean approach on how to narrow down our function call space we can make for a certain time interval. We are working on a few small integrations with the UI as well to make it seamless. The new workflow for the project looks at playing a small snippet of a song using pyaudio by the user, have it recognized by the Shazam, and poll spotify for features, and get its MP3 version, and extract signal parameters for the entire song, playback the full song for the user, and execute commands from…
Read More

Team Status Report for April 8

Weekly Status Reports
Summary  Overall as a team, we have put in an extra number of hours this week to prepare for the interim demo. We were able to make significant progress on the signal processing, lighting logic, and lighting execution subsystems, and were able to get a working demo. Now that we have a basic sense of how everything is going to fit together, we are planning to dive deeper into the integration. We also are beginning testing to make sure that all of our subsystems are robust, and that involves creating test files, and potentially having volunteers to test our system.  Risks  One of the risks that we ran into was that it may be difficult to do all the signal processing in real time and still get a good sense…
Read More

Abhishek’s Status Report for April 8

Abhishek, Weekly Status Reports
Personal Accomplishments This past week, I worked extensively on the lighting engine and implemented almost all the functionality to the point where that subsystem is complete. Each of the lights can be controlled individually and in groups. The lighting calls can be made sequentially or can be made concurrently as well. There was a lot of work that went into implementing the multithreaded nature of these lighting calls. They can now perform a certain function indefinitely until the lighting logic issues a light a new command.    I also started working on attempting to use real time audio input and perform the signal processing live. This is a reach goal for us at the moment, but it is still something that I wanted to attempt. Using pyaudio, and a Focusrite…
Read More