Anna’s Status Report for 04/22

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).  

A big change we had in the project was a pivot from live feedback to feedback after the fact. As expressed in the last few status reports, we were having a lot of problems with integrating javascript recordings with the python django backend. Unfortunately, because we had spent so much time on this, we decided it was time to pivot.

Because we had valid recording strategies, as well as a working conversion between ogg and wav files, we pivoted to having the user sing, download their singing as an ogg file, upload this same file, and then view the scoring and feedback on this singing input. Although this required giving up our goal of real time feedback, we decided this was worth moving to, as the integration between the javascript recording and pitch detection was difficult, and we haven’t made any progress, despite focusing on this for the last few weeks.

On my end, this required a few things. I set up a web framework that allowed navigation between recording, downloading, and viewing results.

Before this week, the recording user view was very basic. This week, I adjusted it to play the song, show the song process, with lyrics. I added a rudimentary song playing interface. The interface shows the song playing, as well as how far the user is in the current chunk. Afterwards, I changed the view to show a download link to be followed before the user proceeds to the next page.

Upon proceeding to the next page, the user uploads the recording that they just downloaded. Once ready, the user plays their recording. This shows the graphic, as developed earlier, where the user input is integrated with the target pitches, comparing their performance. Again, the interface is somewhat simple, but adding specific information should not be difficult for the final demo. After the user performance plays, the web application displays an overall score. This score is calculated using Anita’s scoring algorithm.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?  

Because we were not able to complete integration between the frontend and backend as planned, we are behind. However, we have adjusted our project accordingly, so it is no longer required, so no actions are necessary.

Next week, I hope to greatly polish the web application user interface. While functional, it is currently pretty rudimentary and not appealing. I would also like to add a lot more feedback on user performance post factum. Lastly, I know there are a lot more checks and safeguards I should implement before the web application can be used securely.