Raymond Xiao’s status report for 04/16/2022

I am currently working on setting up the CV portion of our system. The main sensor that I will be interfacing with is the camera. This week, we estimated the parameters of the camera we will be using using MATLAB (https://www.mathworks.com/help/vision/camera-calibration.html). These parameters will be necessary to correct any distortions and accurately detect our location. The camera will be used to detect ArUco markers which are robust to errors. There is a cv2 module named aruco which I will be using. As of right now, I have decided on using the ArUco dictionary DICT_7X7_50. This means that each marker will be 7×7 bits and there are 50 unique markers that can be generated. I decided to go with a larger marker (versus 5×5) since it will make it easier for the camera to detect. At a high level, the CV algorithm will detect markers in a given image using a dictionary as a baseline. These markers are fast and robust.

We also ordered some connectors for our battery pack to Jetson but it turns out we ordered the wrong size. We have reordered the correct size and have also used standoffs as well as laser cut new platforms to house the sensors for more stability. In terms of pacing, I think we a bit behind schedule but by focusing this week, I think we will be able to get back on track. My goal by the end of this week is to have a working CV implementation which can publish its data to a ROS topic which can then be used by other nodes in the system.