Alice’s Status Report for 2/19/2022

This week I was able to get Vitis set up on my laptop. We are now using my laptop as the testing platform since getting Scotty3D to compile was near impossible on the Andrew Linux machines, so we decided to pivot to using a machine that already had Scotty3D working. This process unfortunately took about 12 hours this week due to trying out various machines and hard drives and having to clear up space for Vitis, Vitis HLS, and Vivado (the install required 200 GB).

I am currently working on getting Scotty3D to build in Vitis on my laptop. In particular, I am working on getting Vitis to respect the CMake build system of Scotty3D. Based on some readings it seems promising that Vitis will be able to, there is a section on the Xilinx documentation website for Vitis and Makefiles. In addition to this, I’m also working with Ziyi & Jeremy in re-writing the Scotty3D code to be more hardware friendly, for instance, getting rid of recursion in the collision detection function and getting rid of unnecessary member variables in the Particle object (among other things).

We realized that all the rendering should be done on the fabric (the board’s CPU), so we don’t need OpenGL to work on the FPGA. OpenGL should behave like any other C++ library.

Next week I definitely want to get Scotty3D built through Vitis. Among software rewrites, I will also start looking at making a lightweight version of Scotty3D so we can separate out only what we are aiming to accelerate from the rest of Scotty3D. I also want to follow through on my command-line interface for an easier workflow. I am *slightly* behind on my schedule, but not worried at all as I estimate it to be only 1 or 2 days of work behind.