Jason’s Status Report for 4/23

This week, I primarily worked on creating a user testing suite that is suitable for sending realistic requests to our load balancer. Our previous approach of writing python scripts that send specific requests to our servers does not quite match the use case of our video application. We rely on the HTML5 video player element to load the video and request the next chunks accordingly, and simply making video chunk requests at set intervals does not simulate this behavior, especially since different videos will request different numbers of chunks in a certain interval. Therefore, another approach is required to generate load to our servers.

After asking Professor Eppinger for some tips on load testing tools, I was directed to Selenium as a way to script and simulate user actions in a browser. On top of this, I also found third-party tools such as dotcom-monitor, flood.io, and BlazeMeter that run said scripts on multiple machines and compile user data. However, after learning more and experimenting with the technology, I’ve found that while Selenium is excellent at locating and testing for HTML elements, it does not actually keep track of outgoing requests, incoming responses, and the corresponding data. I would need to pivot to another framework to properly simulate those requests.

Thankfully, while working with Selenium, I also noticed another tool called JMeter that deals more with HTML request/response scripts. Initially, I attempted to convert a Selenium script to a JMeter one using a Taurus proxy server tool. However, the resulting JMeter script did not run properly on BlazeMeter. Therefore, I am currently working on creating a JMeter script using the JMeter Proxy.