Nakul’s Status Report for 4/30

This week I was in charge of creating the user test scripts which simulate the behavior of 3 different user types. The first user rapidly switches between all 3 videos on our streaming server, the second watches through the entire length of the video and then switches to the next one, the third watches 20 to 30 seconds of the video and then switches to the next one.

The test scripts were created using Apache Jmeter which is a software package for recording HTTP requests to simulate load. Using their HTTP test script recorder, I was able to record my interactions with the browser to create the test script. The script recorder creates a proxy server to intercept requests being sent in and out of web browser running our video server. This allows me to simulate the 3 different user classes being tested.

I was able to create duplicate threads within the same jmx file. Jmeter allows multiple thread groups to run simultaneously. So I created a new file for randomLB which contains 3 thread groups for each user class and we can now run the tests on the same server at the same time. Duplicated the randomLB file for round robin LB and changed the target domain of all samplers to the roundrobin proxy.

This jmeter file was then run on blazemeter, a software package that allows us to run multiple concurrent users running the script.

This week I intend to complete collection of Network IO metrics retrieved from cloudwatch. I have set up the cw dashboard to collect network packets out data from video server – 1 to 5. I will need to figure out a way to collect this data asychronously in our LB proxy using the cw getDashboard or getMetricsData.