Henry’s Status Report for 04/23

This week I’ve been mainly working on adding important features to the game and wrestling with making the bluetooth connection between the rPi and VR headset more robust.  For the game, I worked on adjusting the paddle-ball interactions to give players a more realistic chance of hitting the ball, adding table-ball interactions so that the game can judge whether a player won a point if a ball hits a side twice, and implementing lateral tracking features in the paddle so that the paddle will always track the ball in the x direction.  That last features is implemented in case the Jetson cannot be integrated into the game.  For the bluetooth work, I changed the game so that instead of the rPi sending data to the server and having the server change the paddle orientation, the rPi will send its data to the VR headset, which contacts the server to change the location of the paddle.  I did this because the bluetooth connections between the rPi and our VR headsets connect much more frequently than connections between the rPi and our server.  Right now,  I am doing testing with the latency of the bluetooth connection and workin with William on thresholding to determine the swing type for the game.

Once everything is integrated and tested, we need to try to set up the Jetson and put the finishing touches on game, which includes score-tracking and  smoother animations.  Next week, I’m going to continue to work on integrating the rPi with the game and try to integrate the Jetson as well.