Jeremy’s Status Report for 4/10/2021

This week, I mostly finalized the imaging system and prepared it for the demo. On Monday, we found that the camera was broken (likely due to transportation and connecting/reconnecting). I reordered a camera, and it arrived Friday. Because of that hicop, I am one week behind since I could not collect a dataset for machine learning without a functioning camera. I updated our Gantt chart and used one of our two weeks of slack time to account for this.

On Sunday before this hardware issue, I collected a dataset of ~200 captures to quickly prototype some classifiers. While this is not nearly enough data to train a classifier that generalizes well (~200 captures = 16 captures per rank), it let us bring up our SVM classification code. As expected, we got insufficient validation accuracies, so our next step is to acquire a sufficiently large dataset.

When moving a card over the trigger, the imaging system now returns two captures: the unprocessed 8-bit black-and-white capture and a cropped & thresholded binary image that contains the rank and suit. This represents successful integration with infrared sensor ADC and camera drivers in software. After examining the classification results, I only expect to change the rectangle that crops a fixed region-of-interest out of each capture to zoom in on the rank and suit. The cards can move horizontally, so occasionally the rank and suit are shifted in that ROI. Otherwise, I do not expect to make significant changes to the imaging system.

This week, my first priority is to obtain a sufficiently large dataset for training classifiers. I will work with Sid on SVM and neural network training.