Given that this is our first week my main goals were brain storming ideas about the project and researching software packages, hardware components, and algorithms that we would likely use over the course of the project. This led me to look at OpenCV as a means for handling video frames once we get them from the camera. While that covered the input to the software I was (and still am) stumped about how we will interface with the SD card. As of right now it appears that this part will be something we likely find out as we make more progress.

In addition to this I also was looking at runtime speed comparisons between languages such as Matlab and Python’s NumPy module. This was important because when thinking about how we are going to be designing our software components we quickly realized how our biggest hurdle was going to be just how computationally intensive video processing is. For now we’ve settled on using Matlab for anything where we need to do image/video processing directly and Python for just about everything else.

Another area I was doing research in was the storage requirements and general system setup for our camera. This involved the idea for using LEDs to communicate the state of the camera to the user as well as how we think the setup of the camera will look like when we start getting our components in.

0 Comments