Sam’s Status Report for 3/27/2021

The past two weeks, I have focused on our MVP DSP effects of chorus, delay, and EQ. I have successfully prototyped delay and EQ with user-controlled parameters that shape the sound according to our design spec. Chorus is very close, but I am running into a bug where there is a crackling sound introduced with the audio. I suspect this might be a feature induced by block processing that I have to find a way to work around. If I can’t get it working, I will reach out to Tom Sullivan or maybe Ryan for some guidance.

I provided a demo of the MVP effects to my team last Monday, and received positive feedback. During our Monday sync-up, Tom suggested wah-wah as an additional effect if we have, especially I have a mid-peak filter working. The implementation would be as simple as sweeping the center frequency of the filter.

I am behind on the STM32 implementation of effects, but I am still optimistic I can port my MATLAB code to C quickly.

For this next week I am shifting my focus from DSP effects to UI design. I will start with a wireframe and then from there write code for the menu layout, assuming I am provided high-level functions such as write_to_lcd(char[] str). This is a change in our schedule, but one we deem as more essential to getting a working product than the MVP effects.

Below I have included an audio file with our custom delay effect added with the following settings:

Delay Time: 300ms
Delay Feedback Gain: 0.35
Delay Wet Mix: 45%