Jenny’s Status Report for 4/24/2021

For this past week, our group decided to do a pivot to trying to integrate mediapipe’s handtracking into Whiteboard Pal. Because the c++ library is rather convoluted and lack any documentation, I first wrote all the gesture detection and finger tracking code in Python in a separate file. In the case that later we are unable to integrate the c++ mediapipe library, this Python file can also be used as a fallback to be integrated using ros icp or another method. The Python gesture detector I wrote has a near 100% accuracy when there is a hand on the webcam. The only issue is if there is no hand at all and you have a complicated background, it might detect some part of the background as a hand (but it’ll still detect it likely as no gesture).

In addition to the Python code I wrote, I also managed to get the c++ mediapipe hand tracking demo that’s provided by the library to build and run successfully. Currently, I’m in the middle of trying to use the same algorithm as my Python code, except turn it into a mediapipe calculator in c++ to be integrated with our Whiteboard Pal.