Sebastien’s Status Report for 2/27/21

This week, after I made the some notes, spent some times thinking about what I was going to say, and gave the presentation, on Friday, Zacchaeus, Jenny, and I went over feedback from the presentation and agreed that though the course wants quantifiable metrics, ultimately this project’s use case is rather hard to quantify. Aside from latency and framerate numbers, which are more concerned with the associated utility that can render the product unusable, there aren’t really any good and sane ways to measure anything that falls under the umbrella of “accuracy”. The former can be improved by optimizing a solution, but that means having a solution that’s “good” in the first place, and “good” in this case is hard to measure. So we more or less decided that in the end it’s best that we just iterate as fast as possible. So to those ends I opened up a team github repo and implemented a suite of abstractions that should make it as easy as possible to iterate on models and their associated pre-processing steps. I also started implementing a tool for collecting and labeling raw frame data for gesture detection, which is most likely the harder part of this.