Vaheeshta’s Status Report for 3/6

This week, my accomplishments for our design presentation are that I created the hardware system specification block diagram, user story diagram, and the solution approach table. Additionally, I ordered all of our team’s parts on Monday, and some parts have already arrived. Most notably, I was able to obtain the TalentCell Rechargeable 12V battery pack from the ECE inventory, saving us money in our budget. Thus, we currently have about $156 to spare in our budget. 

Moreover, I started to work on the code for our eye classification using the Eye Aspect Ratio (EAR). For EAR, the proportion between height and width of the eye is calculated, with a higher EAR implying open eyes and smaller EAR implying closed eyes. Thus, EAR decreases when the eyes close, and return to a normal level when the eyes are open. EAR is the best option because it easily extracts a single feature from each image and reduces the amount of computational processing and storage memory required compared to other eye classification options. My code uses OpenCV, Dlib, Numpy, and SciPy libraries. It will be easy to integrate it with Heidi’s code with facial landmarking, since it will use the same facial landmark coordinates. This has been pushed to our Github repo at https://github.com/vaheeshta/focused.  

Additionally, I wanted to do more research into if there was a better way to detect drowsiness based on eye movement, other than just tracking if eyes are continuously closed for 2 seconds. For detecting drowsiness, I found a paper detailing a drowsiness pattern and ML model that does exactly this, using EAR, HOG, and SVM just like we are. Their drowsiness classification is based on two rules, the second of which being similar to what we are using. Also, I discovered a public database of human drowsiness called DROZY that I want to use for testing my eye classification. 

I am ahead of schedule, since Heidi and I decided to combine my eye detection task with her facial detection and facial landmarking task. Next week, I hope to test my eye classification algorithm and make necessary changes. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0957417420303298