Jeff’s Status Report For 4/04

Hello from home!

This week, I focused on getting AWS set up and hosting our web application, switching from just local hosting. AWS set up took a while to figure out how to get the credentials, but the web application should be hosted, and now I am just doing some experimentation that all the features still work, ie we can still connect via websockets and send data through. In addition, I’m continuing to tinker with the UI/UX, adding some features like parsing the message to add some more visual elements like emojis to the currently only text based output.

In addition, for the OpenCV part after doing some further investigation and talking it over with Sung, we decided that OpenCV would be better suited for use in normalizing images for use in Sung’s image neural network classifier. Even after adding different patterns and colors as suggested during last week’s meeting, we realized there was simply OpenCV with a glove simply did not have the capability to reproduce OpenPose’s feature extraction by itself. Too often in our gestures were markers covered by our gesture, and without the ability to “infer” were the markers were, OpenCV could not reproduce the same feature list as OpenPose requiring a new classifier. Instead we are using OpenCV to just extract the hands and normalize each image so that it can be passed in. I have worked on extracting the hands, and I am continuing working to normalize the image first by using the glove with a marker to standardize the image, and hopefully eventually without a glove.