Jeff’s Status Report For 02/29

This week, I worked on the Design Report. I also began making more progress on the web application finalizing some design choices and creating a rough prototype.

The key design and overall of the web application is to emulate the Google Assistant on the phone, which displays visual data of the Google queries in a chat type format.  The “messages” would be the responses from the Jetson containing the information. We are still experimenting with Google Assistant SDK to determine what exact information that is received, but at minimum the verbal content usually stated.

In addition, do to the nature of this application it is important that the “messages” from the Jetson with the appropriate information be updated in real time, ie eliminating the need to constantly refresh the page for new messages to occur. To do this, I decided on using Django channels, which allow asynchronous code and handling HTTP as well as Web Sockets. By creating a channel layer, consumer instances can send then information. The basic overall structure has been written, and I am currently now in the process of experimenting with finishing up the channel layer and experimenting with using a simple python scripts to send “messages” to our web application.