Richard’s Status Report for 4-19

Richard’s Status Report for 4-19

This week, we focused heavily on integration. Although Niko and I were already pretty integrated, we realized that there was actually a lot left that we had to do. There were around seven or six places that my code sent Niko’s library a string but he expected an integer, or something along those lines. We spent a few hours going through the whole system, debugging every single error. This was much more time consuming than I thought it would be.

Another thing that took a while for me was to add additional functionality. Niko’s library included code to delete and add interactions, which I didn’t have in my webapp. To ensure that Niko hadn’t wasted his time to write this code, I added in these features to the web application, so that his code is actually called.

Because I didn’t have Niko’s code running on my computer, I actually had to write test-dummy implementations of Niko’s library to test my code. This was very important and I think that it saved us hours on integration. It ensured that all the functions were getting passed exactly what they were expecting, and there were as few surprises as possible.

I think overall, we did a pretty good job with integration. I communicated with Niko very clearly, and even then still ran into multiple misunderstandings/miscommunications. This is a lesson to show how important communication actually is in group projects.