Mia Han’s Status Report for 2/22/20

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

I finalized what libraries will be used to implement the communication between the GUI and the STM32.  With the finalization of what the responsibilities of the STM32 and the GUI communication will be, the ideal library used to implement our design became clearer and easier to determine. I determined what specific libraries and functions will be used to measure the latencies and to interface with the STM32 peripheral, UART.  Measuring latencies was something that we were initially unsure about how to implement, but I began to look into what the stm32cube HAL libraries and microPython libraries offered and realized that both offer libraries that can measure and return the number of clock cycles internally.  Furthermore, I wanted to find implementations that contained libraries that would best achieve what we have and mind and would offer the most useful functions to do so.

A good amount of the work this week has been going into our design presentation.  After discussion with my teammates regarding what design we should go with, we finalized the design and I created multiple diagrams that are used in the presentation.

Final GUI Design:

Interactions Between GUI, MCU, and Components:

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

I believe that my progress is behind schedule; I feel confident in the design decisions that I’ve made especially after thoroughly discussing them with my team and hearing their thoughts regarding them.  I would have liked to start writing some code this week to see what it’s like using an STM32 and having it communicate with my computer, but unfortunately, the cable to connect over USB didn’t come with the MCU.  To make up for this delay, I intend on spending more hours next weekend when I’ll have more time to begin writing some of the functions for the transactions between the GUI and STM32.  Additionally, by beginning to write these functions, I will have a better understanding of what implementing these functions are like for the Design Report due next week.

I hope to write at least 3-5 functions that will be implemented and I hope to be 110% confident in my design and implementation choices.  Moreover, I hope that I have determined how exactly I intend to implement each function in our design using which languages and libraries.