Team Update 5/2/20

What are the most significant risks that could jeopardize the success of the project?

The most significant risks at the moment is spending too much time on the GUI and on the video and not enough time on the design document.  Additionally, another risk at the moment is spending too much time on the details and nuances of each protocol and not on the overall final report itself.
How are these risks being managed? What contingency plans are ready?

The risks are being managed by setting a hard deadline (tomorrow) for the GUI and the video to be completed by.  Additionally, we are communicating with each other a lot more frequently to ensure that no one’s overwhelmed with tasks/stuck.  The contingency plan in place is to submit what we have; we definitely have a sufficient amount of material to present on, but at the moment, we are being ambitious by squeezing a few more features in.
Were any changes made to the existing design of the system (requirements, block diagram, system spec, etc)?

No changes to any requirements or design besides adding more protocols to implement.
Why was this change necessary, what costs does the change incur, and how will these costs be mitigated going forward?

The change was necessary because we wanted to explore other versions of the protocols that we already have; we realized that different versions of the protocols existed and decided to further research these to ensure that our recommendations are accurate.
Provide an updated schedule if changes have occurred.

The schedule has not changed.

Sam Adams’s Status Report 5/2/20

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project?

This week I presented the final presentation and began debugging the GUI connection to the UDP simulator. This included rewriting portions of both the UDP simulator and the GUI.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

Our progress is on schedule. I have completed almost all of the integration for the UDP simulator and I have already begun progress on the demo video.

What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

I will be working with my team to finish making the video and the final doc. I still have a couple of changes to make on the GUI so I will make those changes before the we finish the video.

Mia Han’s Status Report 5/2/20

Once I started writing the final report and began looking more into my implementations, I realized that I didn’t implement the right Reed-Solomon version; instead, I implemented a combination of viterbi + rs which is why the accuracy was so high for errors less than <10%.  So, I re-did the reed solomon implementation that more accurately reflects the actual implementation.  Additionally, I implemented BCH, another algorithm that detects errors within certain packet sizes.   Moreover, we met a couple times as a group to make sure everyone understood the GUI, how to integrate their portions, and how to go about de-bugging our issues.

I also worked on our final presentation earlier this week.

I feel that we are slightly behind; the actual product is almost finished, but I’m worried that we are a bit behind on our video.  Additionally, I’m a bit rusty on C, so that was a little hurdle I overcame today.

To catch up, I plan on spending all day tomorrow creating the script and video that’s due Monday.  Moreover, now that I’ve overcame that hurdle, I feel that it should be smooth sailing from here.

I hope to (in order of priority):

1. Clean up RS
  2. Maybe implement a nuanced version of RS
  3. Finish the video
  4. Final Report

John Paul Harriman’s Status Report for 5/2/2020

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

I implemented a couple more algorithms based on Reed-Muller error correcting code. This algorithm is able to emulate a lot of the most basic error correcting codes by tuning different parameters within the function. I also worked on integrating this added functionality within the GUI.

The video has also taken up a significant amount of time this last week so the team and I have been focusing on that the most.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

We wanted to get the GUI as fleshed out as possible before making the video, so we are a little behind because the video will still take a significant amount of time before we can send it in.
What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

Hope to get the project code finished up, write the report, and finish the video!

John Paul Harriman’s Status Report for 4/25/2020

I rewrote a lot of the existing code I had to be more easily integratabtle into our current GUI solution with an Object oriented approach to create our Test Suite where we will be displaying the graphical information, the data being generated, and the functions working. I can show the packets that I’ve generated, but I’m still trying to figure out a good way to display the information to the viewer that isn’t just a million bits at a time. I’ve worked with the team to hammering out our system construction so all that’s left is just throwing more algorithms at our test suite, displaying information, and continual integration with the team.

I did a lot of work on refining the GUI and the displaying of data in an easy to see format.

This is an example of the data generated in three steps with a chance of a bit flipping being 1/12. The first bar is the generated data of 8bit packets set to grey scale, the second bar is the corrected data that the decoding algorithm has performed on the encoded fuzzed data, the third bar shows the difference between these two bars with white meaning that the data has been correctly decoded and black meaning that it has either corrected the wrong data or could not be fixed.

I also worked on performance benchmarks since we are working to meet the requirements of less than 1mil instructions, my simple encoding and decoding functions for hamming show these results.

I ran my encoding and decoding functions 1000 times and plotted in a histogram. The cycle count is well within the limits, but we will need to test the remaining algorithms to see how they perform.

I also tried to package the gui into its own executable, but did not have success. I think a thorough documentation on how to get started will suffice though.

Project seems to be on schedule, just need to implement and test more algorithms.

More algorithms! Shouldn’t be too bad.

Mia Han’s Status Report 4/25/20

I worked on converting getting my protocols to convert from static calls to repetitive calls every second to display on our live graph; additionally, I integrated JP’s graph with my implementation of the GUI.  I also collected data that verifies that my protocol meets the requirements that we set at the beginning of the semester- everything looked good!  I also fixed the Viterbi + convolutional codes implementation to verify the accuracy of the data that was recovered and not just measure the number bytes of data that was recovered.

I then spent the latter half of the week working on our presentation that is due Sunday night.

I feel that we are slightly behind; I hope to finish up at least one more protocol implementation before the video of the final product.  But, because we spent some time figuring out how to integrate the protocols with the GUI and the best way to present the data on the GUI, I feel that I am a bit behind.

At this point, a few of my classes have already wrapped up, so I plan on spending this extra time working on this new protocol and making sure the everything that I have already written is near perfect.

I hope to (in order of priority):

1. Reintegrate my Viterbi and RS implementations with the new GUI
  2. Finish gathering the measurements for the presentation tonight
  3. Implement one more error detection and correction protocols that we previously discussed in our project re-design.

Team Update 4/25/20

One of the major risks that we are having right now is not getting the UDP part of the project integrated with the GUI and the rest of the protocols.  Additionally, because the original GUI library that we were using was not well documented, we’ve quickly made the transition to using a different GUI library to implement the GUI, making it (so far) a lot easier to integrate our protocols.

The UDP integration risk is being mitigated by making small changes to the UDP simulator in order for it to work with the GUI. Sam is dedicating time to make sure this gets done before we have to make our video.
Because the new library that we are using to implement the GUI is a lot easier to use, there has been less issues since debugging is a lot easier due to the more extensive documentation online.

No changes to any requirements or design. We’ve changed the library that we were previously using to implement the GUI, but besides that, everything is the same.

The change was necessary since we were having difficulties displaying an image with the previous implementation of the GUI.  Because many of the functions were already created to call the protocols, integrating into a new and similar GU library wasn’t difficult; therefore, there are no additional moving forward.  If anything, it may be easier to understand the GUI library since it’s better documented.

The schedule has not changed.

Sam Adams’s Status Report for 4/25/20

This week I begun the week by preparing for our demo. After the demo I have been focusing on gathering UDP metrics in order to be used during the presentation next week. I have also been focused on preparing to present.

My progress is a little behind schedule. I was not able to integrate the UDP part of the project in to the GUI before our demo on Wednesday. My goal is to get everything integrated before our presentation

Next week I am going to finish and present our final presentation. I also am going to complete the work on the GUI so we can focus on making the final report and the video.