Connor’s Status Update for 2/22

This week, I made a decision on which webcam we should use and I worked on designing the physical frame for our project. Earlier in the week, I ran some tests and it was clear that the pixel count was very important. We chose the Logitech C920 because it is a 15 megapixel camera. As for the frame, I finalized a working prototype.

The frame’s purpose is to hold the projector, the webcam, and the leap motion controller at the best height and position above the puzzle. In class, I took measurements to ensure that the projector could cover the entire puzzle and work area. Then, I decided to mock up some designs in Solidworks. The following image shows how our frame will likely end up.

Pink: Projector; Green: Webcam; Blue: Leap Motion; Yellow: LED Lights

The structure is entirely made out of PVC pipes. For reference the tallest vertical pipe is 4ft tall. The horizontal pipes are attached to the vertical pipe by “slip tee” joints so that we can adjust the heights of the components if need be. The smaller components will be mounted by velcro, while the projector will be screwed in. The platform on the bottom will be a fabric like Duvetyne that is able to absorb a lot of light.