Weekly Status Report (03/02) – Kevan

• What did you personally accomplish this week on the project?

This week I continued my work on the facial detection code. Initially, I was attempting to get the facial detection to work using openCV’s pre-trained weights, however, I found that all the images were getting rejected within the first few stages. Instead of spending too much time on this, I decided to move on and go back to writing my own AdaBoost classifier. Most of the code has been written. I also spent a decent amount of time working on the Design Review Report as well as preparation for my presentation. Later in the week, I worked on incorporating feedback from the presentation into the Design Review. In particular, I expanded on our methods for hand-raised detection as the level of detail for the presentation was not sufficient.

• Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

I think I am on schedule to fully implement a working version of the facial detection by spring break.  I was hoping to have more tangible results by now, but I think I am really close. The code has all been written and at this point I am debugging and stepping through my code to make sure I am following the algorithm properly. I hope to have a demo-able version my the meeting on Monday (3/4/2019).

• What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

I will continue working on the facial detection code. I need to have a working version (that has >50% accuracy) by early next week, so that I work on optimizing and improving the detection.