Status Report 3/2/19

Team Status

Significant Risks and Contingency Plans

Risk: The verbal instructions from yoga websites and journals mostly describe how to do a pose, not necessarily how to correct it. This will limit the number of commands that we can match using this method.  

Plan: Through our refinement of the similarity, we found different ways to make a more cohesive yoga command. For instance, when there is no command in our instruction library that matches our basic instruction with a similarity of greater than 50%, we need to be able to make a good command that is understandable and specific for the end user. Thus we can augment out template method to be more specific.

For example, we could have the following command:

“Draw your right foot to your left thigh” can be a good proxy for the instruction from our verbal library, “Draw your right foot up and place the sole of your right foot on your upper right thigh”

Thus instead of only including a direction word to describe the end-motion, we can use other body parts or other objects as reference. This will work closely with angles that we determine as symmetric using the standard pose class. Some sample commands with this method are shown below.

Examples of Template Method 2.0

1. “Align right arm to match left arm
  2. “Reach your arms to your toes
  3. “Place your right hand on your left knee
  4. “Reach your pelvis up towards the sky

Template method 2.0 is an addition to the 3 other methods we had: naive method, template method 1.0, and similarity method. We will be testing template method 2.0 and the similarity method, as we believe they produce the most easy-to-understand instructions. We will assess which of the two methods strikes a good balance between enough information and verbosity, with specificity and understandability as prerequisites.

Changes to Existing Design and Updates in Schedule

We are on track with our schedule. This week we didn’t have any significant changes to design. We did expand upon the Pose class to include thresholds of correctness as well as a module to determine similarity. We have begun basic design for the integration of angle metrics. For each of the poses in our MVP, we determined the similarity and basic characteristics. These properties will be considered when we integrate the verbal instruction function with angle metrics, early next week.

Team Members Status

Sandra

At the beginning of this week, I practiced the design presentation for a few hours as well as tying up some loose ends for the presentation. Then I began working on the design document, specifically the parts that involve optical flow, runtime, and risks. I also resumed my research on competitors of our product. I found a new competitor this week, the Wii Fit Yoga, which provides visual and verbal feedback for poses that you can do on the Wii Balance board. This can give us some insight into how we can refine our UI after spring break.

In addition, I began to refine the similarity method. I started to test a greater number of commands. I began seeing trends of the template commands that provided the highest similarity, such as using other body parts as a reference for alignment. I still focused on tree pose this week for my testing of the similarity method. I started writing the verbal instruction class this week.

NEXT Week DelivErABLES

Next week, I hope to finish the basic integration of angle metrics and verbal instructions. I will be working with Tian and Chelsea for this. Tian was the primary stakeholder for the Pose classes, whereas Chelsea created the verbal instruction library. We will test this with webcam images that I will be taking of myself as I do the 4 yoga poses in our MVP.

Tian

Accomplished Tasks

Code: I constructed StandardPose and UserPose classes and defined the information needed to compare two poses.

I finished implementing the pose comparison logic including:

• Checking if all angles needed for comparison can be computed from given keypoints
  • Checking if certain angles are symmetric (within a threshold) for a yoga pose that requires symmetricity
  • Defining angle metrics for side view poses and refined the standard pose image library for Mountain Pose and Warrior 1.

Documentation: This week I worked with Sandra and Chelsea on the design review presentation slides, focusing on OpenPose runtime and pose comparison. I also updated our detailed schedule (included in design review report) based on previous changes in our plan.

Deliverables I hope to complete next week

Deliverable 1: Design and collect static image test suites for MVP. I will use Webcam to take photos of me doing a yoga pose correctly / incorrectly and use these photos as images.

Deliverable 2: Work with Sandra and Chelsea to integrate verbal instruction generator and pose comparison. I’m responsible for the pose comparison unit. We hope to have a basic working instruction generator for a few poses (Tree Pose, Mountain Pose, Warrior 1 and hopefully DownDog) before spring break.

Chelsea

Accomplished Tasks

I collaborated with Sandra and Tian on making the design review slides, especially the verbal instruction generation and method comparison parts. We have also specified the sections and subsections we will be covering in the design review document and split up the work among us. I will be filling in the UI and verbal instruction sections in the design document.

Based on the new template method for the verbal instruction generation, I made changes to the documentations of methods and created a python library/class for the template method 2.0 and the similarity method, as we think they are the ones that would meet our system requirements the best. Currently, the instruction library class takes in body parts and angle differences as inputs, but the parameters will be adjusted when we integrate verbal instruction with pose comparison. The library will be used to test out and compare the two methods.

• I hope to finish the integration of the verbal instructions and pose comparison parts with Sandra and Tian.
  • I will beautify and make appropriate designs for the UI component’s landing page after looking into other yoga app’s designs.