4/13 Status Report

Team Update

The most significant risk that we foresee is not being able to secure the upper components of the robot on the small base of the tripod. In order to mitigate this risk, we plan on evenly balancing the weight distribution on the upper half of the robot. We plan to look for a washer that matches the screw coming out of the tripod to increase stability of the robot. If this is unsuccessful we plan to use excessive amounts of tape and hot glue for stability.

The overall approach of our existing design remains, aside from a few detail changes. These detail changes include the implementation of the motorized stick, and the structure of the upper half of the robot. The motorized stick will now be a motor that pulls on a string that the Raspberry Pi camera module is attached to so that it may move up and down. The sensors and components housed on the upper half of the robot remain the same, but the placement of everything has changed.

Our Gantt chart remains the same. It’s attached here for easy reference:

Adriel

This week I was able to create a redesign for the layout of the upper half of our robot. The parts for the revised motorized stick idea arrived slightly late, so I wasn’t able to construct it. Because of this,  I instead wired up the connections from our LCD display to the Raspberry Pi. I also created a very basic circuit that would emulate the way that the Raspberry Pi would send signals to go up or down.

I am currently behind schedule because of the late parts, but I plan to mitigate the negative effects of this by arriving to lab early on Monday and trying to complete it before the start of class time.

Next week, I will actually assemble the upper half of our robot so that it is organized and stable for our final demo.

Mimi

This week I worked on the logic for moving the roomba based on image optimization. We had to go back to our design doc to refine how we plan to implement this behavior. I also worked with our team to determine what additional parts we need, and what our plan is for the next couple of weeks before our final demo.

I am slightly behind schedule because I have not completed the code for moving the roomba based on image optimization. I will catch up my work by meeting with my group and working for a good chunk of time tomorrow night before the start of next week.

This next week I hope to finish code for moving the roomba based on image optimization. I will also work on beginning to test our metrics against the success values we set in our design doc.

Cornelia

This past Sunday I worked on finishing the second reading assignment. Then, during class and throughout the week, I worked with Mimi to move the Roomba based on image margins, as stated in our design document. We also did a lot of testing and refinement to reach the metrics we outlined in the design document for verification and testing.

I am slightly behind schedule due to Spring Carnival but I plan to catch up on Sunday night before the start of classes next week.

This coming week I will continue to work on code to adjust the Roomba’s position based on the image optimization standards we defined as well as continue testing our robot. I plan to help Adriel with assembly as well so that wires are fully enclosed and connected securely.