Stephen Dai’s Status Report for 9/30/23

This week I mostly worked on the design presentation and finalizing our algorithm design for the computer vision as well as the user workflow. For the presentation I made these two diagrams to illustrate this:

We made a lot of pretty huge changes to our overall design, like creating a mobile application instead of a web application, and changing how the user interacts with our application. I designed how the user interacts with our application in steps as seen in the diagram. I also designed how our backend computer vision module works, also as seen in the diagram.

I also tried to work some more on getting the segmentation for getting individual components from the user image which Devan was working on last week. Instead of using Hough circle algorithm, I tried using Hough line algorithm and having intersections of the lines be classified as nodes. What I realized was that it was just not good enough: hand-drawn lines are too wavy for the algorithm and it detects lines that make up an actual component, like a resistor. So we are definitely sticking with Hough circle now.

Unfortunately I did not have time to work on the individual component detection as I spent much time on the design presentation. Next week I plan to work vigorously on improving the feature matching. I would say that I am a bit behind schedule than what I would like, but I am confident I can makeup the work next week.

The classes that I have taken that correlate to the principles learned for our design are 15112, 15122, 17437, and 18330. A class I have not taken that significantly impacts our design is a computer vision and machine learning related course. What I have been doing for self-learning is reading many computer vision and hand-drawing detection research papers and utilizing openCV documentation. Luckily there is a lot online and openCV has tutorials that have proven quite useful for me.