Jaden Dabreo’s Status Report 09/30/23

This week I spent most of my time finishing all the frontend portions of the initial web application. I finished the upload page earlier in the week, however I extended the scope of the website after discussing with my teammates to help people that are using the tool for the first time. Hence, I added a FAQ page that explained basic necessities that the simulator will need, such as darkening nodes for detection and attempting to draw the connections straight. All the work I have done has been purely software work and research. Last semester I took a class on web development, Web Application Development (17-437), to write the frontend code of the web application. However, our group came to a consensus that it would be better to use a mobile application instead of a web application due to the specifications of our use cases. Because of this, my work for this week will be discarded and I will have to put in more hours next week to get started on the development of the mobile application. I also looked through computer vision research papers in the hopes of understanding how to justify our accuracy expectations. After our presentation, one piece of feedback we received was that our accuracy expectations were not justified. We were told the best course of action would be to look through computer vision research papers and understand on what basis they quantified their accuracy expectations. Through my research I was not able to find anything of substantial help. Most papers did not mention any accuracy expectations and the papers that did were models building upon previous algorithms that already had a score, thus the expected accuracy expectations were greater than the previous algorithms accuracy score. Currently, I am behind on work. Because of the group’s decision to move to a mobile application, I will have to put back the work I had planned for this week and focus on researching mobile development. I plan to put in an extra hour a day this week, potentially more, in order to get back on track.

(Header of home page)