Joshna Status Report 10/28/2023

This week, I spent a lot of my time working on the ethics report. I think that the main concern it presented for my part of work is the web security. Since I took 18-330 last semester, I am confident that I can implement some measures against things like cross site scripting. As we are not dealing with private data such as things like passwords or payments though, we don’t need to implement security for the majority of popular attacks like pretending to be someone else using cookies.

We are planning to demo the user interface to an advisory group at the Library for Accessible Media Pittsburgh (LAMP) the week after the demos in this class so our team decided that it would be good to have frontend-backend integration done, hosting on the rpi, and an example of a user going from notes to translation to rpi instructions to solenoid/motor movement. So, this week one of my main focuses was finishing the bulk of the translation function and integrating it with the rest of the backend design. Now, most things typed in notes can be represented in braille and in the instructions for the solenoids and stepper motors that will be sent to the rpi. I also have started writing the actual sending of these instructions to the gpio pins for the solenoids by testing with a simple LED circuit.

In order to get the rest of my part ready for the demo, I need to work with Becky and the gantry system to send instructions to the rest of the gpio pins so I can code that before we assemble our MVP and I also need to actually succeed in hosting this website on the RPI or find and do a method that works. As for the demo with the library advisory group, I will need to work with Zeynep to make sure that we know exactly what we want the frontend and backend to be doing when we present and ask for advice. Otherwise, this week I want to accomplish the basic flow for one product search and start web scraping the other sites for our database. I am not ahead of the schedule like I was before but I am in the right position to achieve our goals for the next coming weeks and get back ahead.