Patrick’s Status Report for 9/24

Patrick’s Status Report for 9/24

Class time this week was entirely devoted to the proposal presentations. I’m thankful for the questions I received after the presentation, as they got us to think about areas of the project that we had overlooked and solutions we hadn’t considered. Outside of class, I created a short list of options for magnets that would fit in our chess pieces and weren’t too expensive.

I tried to find options that cover a large range of magnetic field strengths (about 2000 to 15000 surface Gauss), so that we can buy some from different ends of the range to test the sensing before committing. I worked with Vikram to narrow down this list to 3 different magnets, based on what we think will work best with the hall effect sensors he found. I have also been working on the legal move generation algorithm and notation list, and I hope to finish it next week. This puts me slightly behind schedule, as I had hoped to finish legal move generation this week. However, I have plenty of time to finish it by Wednesday and so shouldn’t have a problem getting back on schedule, with the legal move generation and legality check program done by next weekend.