Lucas’s Status Report: 9/25

This week was a little slower on development than past weeks, but we still all chugged along.

I presented our Project Proposal on Monday and, along with everyone else, filled out feedback forms on the Monday and Wednesday presentations. It’s so exciting to see all the interesting projects the capstone teams are working on this semester!

Here’s the raw presentation (it’s a little quiet so check your volume):

I mainly focused on re-printing some of Shelley’s (our robocat test dummy smarty) parts. The main issue we ran into was that the original parts we printed suffered from “elephant’s foot” – basically the first layer was pressed down too much by the extruder head and expanded out too far to be within part tolerances. I recalibrated my printer and (after a terrible failure) got the fresh parts done around Friday.

I had to leave for Delaware on Friday morning, so Shelley will have to wait until this upcoming Monday to be fully assembled.

Before leaving, I also worked on putting together the demo parts – mainly soldering the HX711 breakout, arduino nano, power switch, coin cell holder, and other similar components. I also grabbed some cords from Roboclub and got the our Raspberry Pi set up with raspbian, net reg, and a static ip address.

Next week will see Shelley up and running (literally), the demo working, and apache web server hosting a basic “hello world” web app built in django. I’ll also wrap up the trade study on BLE modules, select one, and begin work on the schematic for the prototypical Tag pcb.

…i’ll also have to clean up our bench space