William Foy’s Status Report for Nov 13 2021

This week I focused on the internal demo and configuring the Xbee for Zigbee communication. In the beginning of the week I was a bit blocked since the breakout boards for the Xbee did not arrive when we expected. This meant that there was a delay in physically hooking the Xbee up to the Arduino Pro Mini.

For the demo I showed the functionality of the chair sensor. This showcase made me realize how unreliable our current sensor setup is. I think we need to add more aluminum foil and better tune the algorithm to determine when occupancy changes.

After the breakout boards arrived I was able to work with JJ to connect the Xbees to the Arduino Pro Mini. We were able to program the Xbees with XCTU. All we need to do is test the serial communication from the RPi and Arduino to the Xbee and get the communication up and running with the correct data from the Arduino.

I think we got a bit stuck this past week but we should still be able to get back on schedule. This upcoming week I plan to fully flesh out the Xbee communication. We also will order batteries this week for the Arduinos to be powered off of. I think this week is crucial for our project and I am confident we will make a lot of progress.