Alex’s Status Update for October 17

Alex’s Status Update for October 17

This week I developed character movement and infinite terrain feature. One of the easiest way to burden the game main thread is to infinitely create roads and terrains as the character moves forward. This eventually take up large unnecessary game memory. We can clear up the issue by deleting the objects that are behind the character. Because I expect many more objects to be created at run time (coins, obstacles, etc) I decided to just move the road that is behind the character to the move it up to the very front of the road.

I also integrated the game with Mock Muscle Controller and the UDP Sockets so that the character can be controlled from the controller.
During the process I used implementation practices within Unity that minimizes the load on the main Unity thread, such as positioning and moving objects on the main axis, creating “Prefab” (Prefabricated) objects that has object configurations so that the main thread does not need to calculate the object transformations at run time.
I am right on top of schedule. I decided to integrate with the UDP Client early on (1 week earlier than planned) so that before I got into too much depth with extra graphics and game features that the game works with the hardware side.

Next week I will be working creating obstacles and jump motions. After this point the game is basically ready for the 2nd integration on the most basic level. Randomly generating obstacles without having the case where its impossible to survive would be the challenge in the coming weeks.