Young’s Status Update for 11/21/20

This week our team began to integrate the web application and the backend of the image processing and the classification together I started working on adapting the classifier to the Django app by importing the network weights from within the app. Meanwhile, I’m also working on hand detection which should lessen the amount of work on the image processing side. Admittedly, I am starting to get a little bit uneasy about the amount of work left to be done. It would have been nice to have a deliverable product by now, regardless of its level of sophistication, but we still have the training and the feature extraction left to be done. So I have begun to look into transfer learning, which involves taking a generic pretrained model for a similar task and supplements it with training under a more specific and personalized dataset. The amount of time it takes to implement this seems to be less than the training time it would save from learning from scratch. I am hoping these give us a more reasonable path towards reaching our benchmark results.