Alex Xu’s status report for 11/14/2020

This week I helped my group ensure that the demo went smoothly on Wednesday. After that, I had originally wanted to go into TechSpark to further discuss my 3D printing-related plans, but I was told that there was a positive COVID-19 case in TechSpark, so I instead went back to Autodesk CAD and watched tutorials. A friend of mine mentioned that making the parts may be more easily done in Autodesk Inventor and told me that connecting the motor horn could be done more easily by melting the plastic printed part and molding it with the motor horn base, and I plan on talking more with him about a better adhesion method as he’s done this before. I think running by the overall box housing by him as well would be a good idea too.

Open issues: going from CAD/Inventor to 3D printing. I’d like to create at least one of the two as a prototype, assuming the self-serve 3D printers still work. I’ll prioritize the motor horn/motor horn connector first, as that’d allow for a proper lock mechanism, and the aesthetics can come later.

Next week: 3D printing. Preferably both of these being done as prototypes so I will have images next week, but if not at least getting the motor horn (connector) will get us significantly closer to what our project will be.