Weekly Update, October 13 to October 19

Jason Huang

Accomplishments:

• Obtained facial data via online (http://www.face-rec.org/databases/)
  • Continued implementing Similarity Matching Schema, based on paperย An Introduction to Biometric Recognition by Anil K. Jain, Arun Ross
  • Started integrating facial data with my existing code

Upcoming Work

I want to continue playing around with the facial data that I’ve found online since we’re having more camera issues. Since most of our components have arrived, we can now progress forward at a quicker rate than before.

Schedule

This week also proved to be a busy week, with a few essays and a presentation due next week, but I was able to make a little more progress. With a second three-day weekend coming up, I hope to write more code to fine-tune my existing codebase.

Emily

This week was quite a busy one with midterms and papers, so I made a bit less progress than I had hoped. At the end of last week, we finally got what we thought were all the components we needed to finally interface with the depth camera that we have (Intel SR300), but yet another setback has occurred! Even though the Intel website said that the cable for USB communications was a USB 3.0 to Micro B, that was wrong! Instead it uses a special I-PEX to USB 3.0 connector that is REALLY hard to find online, so this poses quite a big problem… I’ve emailed our TA about our problem, so hopefully we can figure it out next week ๐Ÿ™ In other progress, there has been more progress on the circuitry for communications between the front and the back. Button presses send the correct data/state to the other microcontroller, and the LED’s flash correctly! I’ve also made some very crude designs on how I want the outer enclosure to look. Preliminary talks with my other team members have ruled that we probably want to use some type of acrylic as material. We’ve also decided that we are probably going to laser cut it, I’m going to be taking the 1-unit mini to get certified to use the laser cutters in the TechSpark space ๐Ÿ™‚

In terms of timeline, I’m S U P E R behind on getting camera data to Jason because the camera we have/Intel makes me ๐Ÿ™ Other parts of the project are going smoothly, so while I’m making progress on the other parts that are in the future timeline, I’m really behind on that one part.

Joe

This week, I put in the order for the circuit parts I’ll need for the back part of the circuits, as well as starting to look into different batteries I’ll need to actually achieve the amount of power for 24 hours. On the actual construction of the inductors, ย I ran into an issue that required more research. One was the ampacity of wires, the effective frequency that the wires can support, and the resistance of the wire. Since we were originally going to drive the inductor at 1mhz, we needed wire that can support that frequency, due to the skin effect. However, the gauge and strand count of Litz Wire to support that frequency is stated to be around 7.8k ohms/meter. On the other hand, using solid wire would require a much larger gauge, and also may be incompatible with higher frequency. I need to do more research on how the high resistance may impact the circuit, or reduce the clock speed.

My goal for next week is to get the magnet wire ordered, construct the rest of the circuit and see if I’m getting the proper output at the ends where the inductor will be attached.

Whole Team:

This week several of us were busy and we also found a couple of unexpected issues. This puts a bit behind, but we had some slack left in our Gannt chart to account for this. After clearing out the issues with Intel weirdness and inductor wire choice, we should be able to continue as planned.