Status Update 10/28

Michael- Fixed problem where could only parse midi file from local file system. Now I have flow of application working so that I can upload a midi file, and a midi file with generated chords combined will then be downloaded for the user. This is important as we can now test our machine learning algorithm more quickly and easily and will work this we to see how we are for the midpoint demo. I will also continue to work on making the flow of  the application better as right now it is in a pretty bare minimum state. The user just receives an updated midi file with chords. I would like to better incorporate the javascript midi player with the midi files we generate.

Chris – Last week I started working on a key finding algorithm and doing researches in this area. This week I evaluated the two approached I could take: machine learning and algorithmic, and decided to go with the latter for the season that it is more practical in terms of both time and efforts. I researched a few existing libraries and decided to proceed with Music21, one developed by MIT. The key finding algorithm, the Krumhansl Schmuckler algorithm is based on a statistical modal, which calculates the probability of any melody being in any key. Usually, the key with the highest likelihood is then selected. While this algorithm cannot guarantee a 100% accuracy, it is well enough for the purpose of our project. I Learned about using the module, or more specifically, I understood the concept of note and stream in music21, and how to apply them in the key finding algorithm. For the coming Monday, I will work with Michael on his data parsing part as some classes he wrote earlier may not be compatible with music21. Then I will incorporate the Krumhansl Schmuckler algorithm in our code.

Aayush – managed to get reasonable results from processing simple midi files. Working on identifying datasets that can give us the best results.