OverviewStorage systems are among the most fascinating and the most important parts of computer systems. They often dominate the performance of a system, and failures of other components are frequently addressed by restarting from the data stored on them. Indeed, storage systems hold the crown jewels of most organizations: their information (from source code to Microsoft's software to the sales databases of every e-commerce site to the logs and indices driving the Big Data revolution). There continues to be great demand for bright people and better solutions in this critical field of computer systems.
This course covers the design, implementation, and use of storage systems, from the characteristics and operation of individual storage devices to the OS, database, and networking approaches involved in tying them together and making them useful in servers and large-scale distributed systems. Along the way, we will examine several case studies of real systems, demands placed on storage systems by important applications, and impacts of trends and emerging technologies on future storage systems.
Although the word "Advanced" is no longer part of the title for this class, due to an unfortunate acronym, the class will continue to have the same advanced level of content, projects, and high-level expectations.
This class is supported in part by a AWS in Education Grant award.
- Lecture time: MW 16:30 - 17:50, starting August 26th.
- Units: 12
- Prerequistes: 15-213, 18-213, or 15-513, from CMU, with a grade of at least a B.
- Location: DH 2315
- Communicating with the course staff: We will be using Piazza for class-related discussions this term. The webpage for our Piazza course is http://piazza.com/cmu/fall2019/18746/home. For questions that are not suitable for a public post on Piazza, please use the staff mailing list 746-staff [at] lists [dot] andrew [dot] cmu [dot] edu.
- Web site: www.ece.cmu.edu/~ece746
- Syllabus: PDF. Make sure to visit this course page regularly for updates.
- Regular lectures by the instructors on core topics of storage systems
- Guest lectures by experts in the field
- Midterm and final exams
- Several project assignments (not nearly so much as 15-410, though)
Books and readingsThere will be no assigned book for this offering. Instead, the instructors will rely on readings from books and the research literature to complement the lectures. See the Schedule & Readings pages for an overview of the latest plan.
Staff (746-staff [at] lists [dot] andrew [dot] cmu [dot] edu)
|Greg Ganger||CIC 2208||(412) 268-1297|
|George Amvrosiadis||CIC 2311||(412) 268-7814|
|Jiaan Dai||Tue 3-4; Thu 11-12||Gates 5th floor commons|
|Rajat Kateja||Mon 11-12; Wed 11-12||CIC 2214|
|Xingyang Liu||Wed 2-3; Thu 4-5||Piazza (online)|
|Bhavini Mishra||Tue 6.30-7.30; Fri 3-4||Piazza (online)|
|Qi Tian||Wed 4-5; Fri 12-1||Piazza (online)|
|Jiongtao Ye||Mon 2-3; Thu 2-3||Gates 5th floor commons|
|Xuren Zhou||Tue 10.30-11.30; Fri 2-3||Gates 5th floor commons|