Lin’s Status Report for 2/17

This week my main focus is to work on the pitch detection of the audio processing. I have transferred all my work from Matlab to Python, since it will be the primary language of our Web App’s backend. Currently, I am applying Short-time Fourier transform(STFT) to an input audio to get its frequency. Then I convert the pitch into MIDI notes and pair them with music notes. I tried several python libraries including Librosa and Scipy, which all deal with music and audio analysis. For now I’ve decided to use Librosa mainly since it’s been widely recommended by the StackOverflow users, but if things doesn’t work out later I’ll switch to Scipy.  I’m able to extract pitch and note from a 12tet diatonic music scale as shown in the graph below. 

My progress is on track this week. I wrote my code for music files within 10s and I plan to work on musics that are longer next week. Our design goal is to perform pitch detection to a roughly 60s music file so I will start to work on that next week. I will also try with some low SNR input files to test the pre-processing part of my code.