Matt’s Status Report for 04/20/2024

The week prior to last week, I been working with an AMD representative, Andrew, and an ECE PhD student at CMU, Shashank, to get the Kria board working. He had sent me three tutorials to work through, all of which I did, and I ran into errors when running two of them. After discussing with Shashank and sharing the logs with him, we determined a few things wrong with how I was using Vitis. First, the scripts that I was using to run Vitis 2022.2 had some minor bugs that Shashank fixed. He also pointed out that I cannot work on Vitis projects on AFS, and so I moved my work to the local scratch directory of the ECE machine that I was working on. After this I was able to run Vitis and all three of the tutorials without failures.

At this stage, Andrew sent me a tutorial on how to specify and build a platform for the Kria. However, after discussion with Professor Kim about the pacing of our project, we decided to fall back to the Ultra96, which had more knowns and a smoother development path than the Kria, which still had a few unknowns, the main one being exactly what modules provided by the Kria we wanted to use. The tutorial that Andrew had sent was required to create a platform file that would specify to Vitis what resources were available to the accelerator that we were building. Doing this would require Vivado, and while I was able to follow the tutorial, I was not confident in my ability to adapt the tutorial and develop my own hardware platform that would suit our project. I did not originally expect having to do this step when planning to use the Kria—I had taken a lot of setup steps for granted, all of which were done by Shashank and the 18-643 staff for the course labs. Thus, that week we decided to move away from the Kria, which sadly tosses out a lot of work that my partners did to set up the Kria as an end-to-end robotics system.

This past week I easily got a working hardware version of RRT built. Due to the complications with A* search that we experienced right before interim demo, we have separated RRT and A* so that RRT alone will be done on the FPGA. Adapting the C version of RRT into a synthesizable hardware version that could be understood by the HLS compiler was difficult—I was running into this cryptic and completely undocumented error “naming conflict of rtl elements” from Vitis. Even after thoroughly searching through Google I could not find anything, so I resorted to reshaping my HLS code in different ways. Namely, I refactored our RRT code so that it essentially lives entirely in one function (this is better for HLS anyways), and I forced many automatic optimizations off (namely loop pipelining). Eventually I got a working version that would compile and give the correct results. What’s left for me to work on is now figuring out which optimizations I can turn back on so that our accelerator can be as performant as possible.

Lastly, on top of working on the RRT kernel itself, I also worked on defining how the FPGA board/SoC would communicate with the laptop (which we are using in place of the Kria board for perception+kinematics). After trying some libraries out, I settled on this very simple UART library (literally) which seemed to suit our needs. With it we are able to send bytes over UART and read/write them into/from C buffers. More importantly, it is very easy to use, consisting of only a .c and .h file pair. This is important because it means I can simply drop it into my Vitis project and compile the host code with the UART library.

Learning Reflection

During this project, I experienced for the first time what it was like to learn how to use a new tool and device (Vitis and the Kria board) by walking through online tutorials as well as through guidance from an expert (Andrew). I had prior experience with Vitis and the Ultra96 through a well-written step-by-step document given by the 643 course staff, but the online tutorials are not written with the same clarity and thoroughness. Thus, I found it useful to ask Andrew many questions, which he was more than happy to answer.