Harshul’s Status Report 2/24

This week I primarily worked on the design presentation we had to give and polishing the delivery with practice and ensuring that our technical requirements had a clear mapping to the use case definitions. On the presentation side I worked on formalizing the system architecture in specifying the general block diagram, hardware I/O diagram as well as the software stack. These diagrams define the interactions between our sensor module and the iPhone app which should lead to a clear interface. I filed an inventory request for a replacement Jetson and flashed it to our SD card, configured the Jetpack/Ubuntu distribution and, compiled and built the drivers for our Wifii and Bluetooth dongles to allow for wireless development over ssh rather than depending on ethernet which leaves it ready for benchmarking. I’ve started working on getting a demo of the AR mapping up and running in xcode and will continue to keep working on it going into next week and use those learnings to inform our final design in our report.

Some next steps for the report entail fleshing out the architecture for the xcode app itself and running the mockup Erin put together of the dirt detection algorithm on the video-stream on the Jetson to test that CUDA accelerated openCV can successfully process the images on the device meaning that we can then transmit a json message to the iPhone over bluetooth or whether we need to transmit our image explicitly. I will also work on getting an AR mapping demo to build and test it on my iPhone and then start experimenting with the api of ARKit. Our last parts order that we anticipate is a battery + potentially a dc regulator so that we can power the Jetson without needing wall power.

I think progress is generally on track. I think two key things are to ensure that we have a report that clearly specifies our overall design along with ensuring that progress has been made on the AR front as a foundation for us to build on top of once we return from spring break.