Nathalie’s Status Report for 2/10

This week I outlined our use case requirements into 3 main categories: mapping coverage, cleanliness and tracking coverage. In order to quantify these metrics, I found an article entitled “A study on the use of ARKit to extract and geo-reference floor plans” which helped us inform the quantified numbers. More specifically, this study had ARKit deviations of ~10cm in small scale environments and 2m error in large scale environments. Rooms we clean are considered small-medium, roughly 5m x 4 m so error is ~30-40 cm, rounded up is about 10% error. The article can be found here. As a team, we spent a lot of time discussing how to justify our requirements and making sure that we were aligned on our idea and what we were going to use to validate it. I created a schedule of tasks (sample of some items shown in the screenshot below), detailing tasks, subtasks, duration, notes, and assignees. Our schedule is meant as a place to store notes and information, and helped in the creation of our Gantt chart.

I also created a testing plan that aligned with use case requirements and the schedule of tasks. I made sure to demonstrate how these tasks and tests will be done in parallel, and sequentially based on our established timeline. These tests include both unit tests for each part of our system and end-to-end tests for the whole system once we begin to integrate parts.

My progress so far is on schedule relative to the deadlines that we outlined during our proposal presentation. Based on our feedback from professors and TAs, my next steps are going to be ordering materials, outlining more concretely what our technical plan is going to be on the software and hardware side, and flushing out our thresholds for dirt.