Alan’s Status Report for 03/16/24

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

This week, I worked on bluetooth. I managed to connect the ItsyBitsy boards to my phone using the Adafruit’s testing app, to my computer using a python script and, finally, to our app (with Erin working on the bluetooth code for React)! I relayed sensor data (temperature, pressure, and color), and tested that transmission is reliable. I also received data back from my cellphone to the Arduino board, also reliably. Furthermore, I wrote the FSM to only relay liquid level data the first time after a bottle is closed (to avoid wasting power).

Other than this, I tested the new waterproof ultrasonic sensor, which doesn’t seem to be working, so I ordered a new one, as well as RS485 communication modules to test with another sensor we had also tried. I did some work (both by myself and with Matt) on capacitance testing, and it seems that the variations found in liquids (from a study done by Matt) are rather small, and heavily affected by room temperature. Finally, I looked into turbidity as a possible metric and ordered a sensor to test it.

• Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

On schedule

• What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

Over the next week, I plan on writing a classifier, based on color, density, and possibly capacitance and turbidity, and tests its accuracy with different drinks. For this first step, I will write it in a Python project, for ease of testing.

Bluetooth communication:

Arduino serial monitor:

Adafruit’s Bluefruit testing app, showing the device, the transmitted data, and the received data: