Alan’s status report for 02/24/24

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files orphotos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

At the start of the week, I worked on rehearsing the presentation and preparing for questions. Once it was past, I focused on the design review, bluetooth connection, and sensor testing. I finished the sections that were assigned to me in the status report, successfully tested the color sensor and the temperature sensor (using an arduino nano), and found good references for bluetooth connection, both on the arduino side and on the React side.

Unfortunately, this week, Matt and I noticed the seeed boards are quite spotty in their connection to the computer (when testing and uploading arduino code), so we’ve decided to use a different board. We are still deciding on the new board, but the current options we are considering are Adafruit ble boards, Arduino nano ble, Arduino Uno R4 Wi-fi (which is bluetooth capable), and the bluetooth module for non-bluetooth capable boards sold by Arduino.

Erin and I also decided to rebase the app to use the Expo framework (which works on top of React Native). This will make development and bluetooth integration smoother. I helped her with setup and creating the new codebase.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule

I am ahead of schedule on sensor testing, on schedule with the design report, and behind schedule with the bluetooth code (due to issues with the seeed boards and our decision to move to Expo). I will have plenty of time next week to work with our new board and codebase to bring progress to schedule.

By next week, I hope to have received the new board and be working on it with a basic bluetooth project. I also hope to work with Erin on the app, working on the backend for local database connection and to integrate it with the bluetooth library (though bluetooth may not be completely finished by next week).