Alan’s Status Report for 02/10/2024

• What did you personally accomplish this week on the project?

At the start of the week, I worked on the presentation. I helped come up with the technical requirements and their quantifications. This included doing research on machine learning models and their accuracy and on tolerances for food items according to the FDA. I then helped Erin prepare for our presentation, rehearsing with her a few times and thinking about how to best present each idea. After this, I spent some time reviewing the slides and our project so I could be prepared to answer questions after the presentation.

Once the presentation was over, my work this week was mostly exploratory. I’ve been looking into how to interact with bluetooth data, both from the arduino end and from the react end. I’ve been setting up my environment to start developing in react native, and I’ve been refreshing my knowledge of React Native, since it’s been a long time since I last used it. I also helped select the sensors we’ll order (over our group meeting), for which I’ll place orders this weekend so they can be reviewed by the next cycle, early next week. Matthew gave me an Arduino I will use to help test sensors, once we get more (we currently have one, which Matt has). I have created a file to organize the reference links I am using to study for this project. Lastly, I have started a spreadsheet to be used as a bill of materials so that we track what we use over the course of the project, making it easier to create a final bill of materials at the end of the semester.

• Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

My progress is on schedule.

• What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

By next week, I hope to be fully set up with my environment and up to speed in react native. I will also have ordered the sensors, and, since some will be over Amazon (shipped in two days with Prime), I will probably have sensors I can start testing.

Lastly, given the feedback we have received on our presentation, I will work on better specifying our requirements, particularly in terms of food safety. I will create an updated list of requirements considering “latency, food safety, and battery life considerations” (from the feedback) and will review it with the team and present it to our TA.